DUI Lawyers for Columbia, SC
Please Call : 803-252-4800
Founded in 1996 by former U.S. Attorney J.P. Strom, Jr. and based in Columbia, South Carolina, Strom Law Firm, L.L.C. serves the legal needs of the greater Midlands region.
The Strom Law Firm Difference
The lawyers at Strom Law Firm devote their professional lives to serving the people and families of South Carolina. Our firm’s purpose is simple — to help you resolve your legal matters with efficiency, expertise and compassion.
We are committed to vigorously advocating for our clients’ rights and interests in their defense. We achieve these ends through our:
- legal experience,
- research resources,
- strong network of professional relationships, and
- stellar reputation for respect and trust among our peers.
Just as importantly, with our guidance, we enable clients to make informed, confident legal decisions regarding their case.
How to Reach Us:
To request a no-fee consultation right now regarding your DUI defense — please complete the form at the top right.
By Telephone: 803.252.4800
Toll Free: 888.490.2847
History and Practice
Founded in 1996 by former U.S. Attorney and immediate past president of the South Carolina Trial Lawyers Association, Pete Strom, our practice has expanded from its original focus on representing individuals and businesses in South Carolina to a firm that now represents clients in complex civil and criminal cases throughout the Southeastern U.S. and nationwide.
Strom Law Firm, L.L.C. proudly represents the rights of individuals in the following areas of law:
Complex Litigation, Multi-District Litigation, Mass Torts, Personal Injury, Worker’s Compensation, Nursing Home Malpractice, Pharmaceutical Liability, Products Liability, Consumer Protection, Toxic Torts, Premises Liability, Business Litigation, Social Security Disability, Business Formations, Tax Planning, State and Federal Criminal Defense, White Collar Crimes, Grand Jury Practice, Professional License Defense, Employment Matters, and Qui-Tam or Whistleblower Actions.
Class and Complex Actions Litigated by Attorneys at Strom Law Firm, LLC
Our attorneys include J. Preston Strom, Jr., Mario Pacella, Robert Hood, John Alphin, and Robyn Madden. In addition to being licensed in South Carolina, Mario A. Pacella is admitted to practice in Georgia and New York.
Joseph Preston “Pete” Strom, Jr.
Mario A. Pacella
Robert E. Hood
John R. Alphin
Robyn W. Madden
Denise Weltz, Senior Litigation Paralegal
Ryan Alphin, Investigator
Eliesha Guevara Nick – Paralegal and Civil Intake Coordinator
Chelsea Laughter – Paralegal
Betty Cosby – Legal Assistant
April Gonzalez – Legal Assistant
Seasoned DUI Defense by Strom Law Firm
Being arrested for DUI does not mean that you are guilty, a bad person, or that you do not have any rights.
Pleading guilty to a DUI charge without the advice of a lawyer can have lasting personal and professional consequences including:
- your ability to maintain your current as well as obtain future employment,
- the expense of SR-22 insurance,
- possible prison time,
- hefty fines (which can double when you add court costs), &
- the loss of your license.
Founded by a former U.S. Attorney, the team at Strom Law also includes a former Public Defender, and a former Assistant Attorney General and Richland County Assistant Solicitor. It’s awarded the highest Martindale-Hubble ranking and collectively holds more than 50 years of complex litigation experience. Our DUI defense attorneys will evaluate your case at no charge.
Fill out the Free Case Evaluation form on the right or call us immediately. Let us fight your DUI charge, and help you protect your freedom and financial future.
How to Fight Your DUI Arrest
During our complimentary case evaluation, we’ll help you decide whether to plead guilty or not guilty – and inform you if your DUI charge or penalties could be reduced.
If retained to provide your DUI defense, our DUI attorneys will investigate the legality of your DUI arrest and determine whether guilt can be proven.
Preparing a DUI Defense
Was your DUI arrest legal?
South Carolina DUI law is a complex law, with a surprisingly large gray area of actual DUI culpability. Though, only a DUI attorney can expertly scrutinize and challenge your DUI arrest. DUI statutes we’ll examine include:
- South Carolina law dictates that the police officer’s video camera must begin videotaping as soon as the officer turns the blue lights on.
Under DUI Law: Guilt Must Be Proven
We’ll examine these and other DUI laws to determine the strength or weakness of the case against you.
- The prosecution must prove that there was a reason, known as reasonable suspicion, for the officer to pull you over. For example, the officer saw you driving recklessly, speeding or swerving over the double yellow line.
- The prosecution must prove that you were driving any type of motorized vehicle.
- The prosecution must also prove that you were on the road.
- Most importantly, the prosecution must establish that you were materially and appreciably impaired.
- While some statutes are more easily determined than others, the most vital question appears to be whether the defendant was materially and appreciably impaired. This issue is at the core of the argument and presents the biggest challenge in dealing with the DUI statute.
Consequences of a DUI Arrest in South Carolina:
Consequences associated with a driving under the influence conviction are determined by
- the charge of a first DUI, second DUI, third DUI, or subsequent offense;
- your blood alcohol level (the higher your BAC, the stiffer the penalties);
- your agreement or refusal to take a chemical test, such as a breathalyzer (if you refuse, you will lose your license for 6 months, unless you request an administrative suspension hearing);
- minors being in your vehicle; and
- your involvement in a DUI accident.
NOTE: Your DUI defense also plays a key role in determining the final consequences.
Actual DUI penalties, based on the factors above, include:
- A suspended or restricted license
- Mandatory jail time or imprisonment
- Ignition interlock device
- SR-22 insurance
- Fines ranging from $400 to $10,000
- Community service
- Felony conviction
- Alcohol and Drug Safety Action Program (ADSAP)
Cases our DUI Attorneys at Strom Law Firm Handle
Reducing DUI charges to reckless driving
Boating under the influence
Military base DUI
Not sure if your situation falls into one of these cases? Call us or fill out the form for a no-cost consultation. Find out how our lawyers can give you another chance.
Interview us now to find out how we can best serve your legal needs. Call to schedule your no-fee case evaluation.
Free Consultations • Flexible Appointments • Se Habla Español
Please Call : 803-252-4800